Korean Sunrise

Korean Sunrise
Land of the Morning Calm

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

That Time I Almost Barfed in Vietnam



 
The opening barrage of local dishes

As a self-proclaimed foodie, it's my responsibility to try new foods as I encounter them. Don't get me wrong, I’m no Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern. No entrails or blood-based dishes for me; I admit that pate and sweetbreads might be tasty, but I've watched a few too many episodes of CSI and Criminal Minds to be comfortable with this concept. No whole animals – octopi on a stick, balut, and escargot, for instance – because my Midwestern upbringing hasn't left me completely. No exceptionally smelly foods (I'm looking at you durian and Limburger), since having a great sense of smell is a double-edged sword. I freely admit that my rules are arbitrary, and that I probably have eaten something by mistake or deception that I wouldn't have otherwise. Case in point, eating blood sausage is something I wouldn't do now. Nevertheless, I was probably seven when I had a piece after some extended family member said it was salami. And raw oysters are a deliberate exception, because they are delicious with a little lemon juice. Still, I adhere to my self-imposed restrictions because eating should be an enjoyable experience, not an exercise in discomfort.

In Da Nang, our guide, Thuan, took us to a local place to try some traditional dishes. I'm a huge fan of bahn mi sandwiches and pho, so I was enthusiastic about trying more of the Vietnamese cuisine. Our guide ordered for us, and the waitress brought out what appeared to be enough food to feed the entire city. I don't recall most of the dishes we tried, but a few made an impression. We had rice baked in clay pots, which yields golden and slightly chewy grains, perfect for soaking up the broth from the spicy fish and scallion stew. Sautéed morning glories with garlic tasted pleasantly like spinach, and complemented the ground pork dish. We used the crumbled dried fish like bacon bits on the salad, and it was much better than it probably sounds. I made an effort to try a little bit of everything, including the mam ruoc.

My first warning should have been that the sauce sat in a tiny dish in the center of the table, like an innocent dollop of dusky lavender gravy. Thuan said it was a strong-tasting (second warning) dipping sauce made from fish (third warning). I selected one of the marble-sized white eggplants proffered, dragged it through the sauce, and popped it in my mouth. I immediately and deeply regretted my decision. The taste flooding my mouth was like the vomitous funk of a dirty diaper made edible in some dank corner of hell. This was no garden-variety baby bomb, either; no, this particular specimen had been forgotten in the car at the start of a long, sweaty day at the beach, left to fester in the merciless heat of the sun. That repulsive, nauseating stench was in my mouth.

In a panicked reflex, I swallowed. My eyes were watering, but I had at least gotten it down. Then I inhaled. The fetor rising from rotting garbage in the bottom of a New York City fast food dumpster combined with the noxious odor of a hundred cat ladies' houses might come close to the reeking miasma that assaulted my nose. Every thread of self-control I had was employed in the prevention of my throwing up at the table. I could feel the saliva collecting in the back of my throat, and my stomach clenched in anticipation. I drained my Coke, then my water glass. I felt like my struggle lasted for an hour, but only mere seconds had passed while I was mastering my rebellious reflexes. Seemingly oblivious to my inner battle, my husband had continued talking with our guide, and was reaching for an eggplant. "Watch out," I croaked, "it's really strong." He caught my meaning and barely skimmed the top of the sauce. After swallowing his sample, he coughed a few times and followed up with several long sips of water. "Well, that was disgusting," he deadpanned.

Later, I conducted an online investigation on mam ruoc. The production process can summed up like this: krill-sized shrimp are salted, dried, ground up, fermented, dried again, and sold as a paste. It's not quite as popular as the pervasive fish sauce, nuoc mam, which is the liquid extracted from fermented anchovies. While I can and have handled nuoc mam in small quantities, particularly mixed into other sauces, the mam ruoc is beyond my capacity. It is without a doubt the most offensive food I have ever willingly eaten. Had I smelled it first, there's absolutely no chance I would have put it in my mouth – but that wouldn't have been much of a story.

Until the next post, keep laughing, learning new things, and eating good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment